Sunday, May 16, 2010
the oil spill is my fault
This oil spill is really my fault. I am a treehugger, liberal, nature loving utopian-seeking socialist. Yes, I think everyone deserves a good education, health care and a clean environment. Plus I think a vibrant middle class creates a stronger economy. It is when a few people at the top horde all the resources, that economy suffesr. In third world countries, a few extremely rich people exist while the vast majority of people live in poverty. In the 70's, people like my dad worked in middle class union jobs like truck drivers and earned enough to afford houses, health care, dental care, two vacations a year plus a good retirement. I know the problems of oil. I read end of oil. I know climate change is real. I know the oceans are being damaged. I can see the urban sprawl. Yet I drive my car and do nothing!!!! Oh maybe I bitch at you. And maybe you bitch at me. But why? What's the point of this anger? There is a joy in responsibility. We need to figure out a new system OUTSIDE of government. I continue to advocate policies, a carbon fee and dividend. (this would give every American family about $1,000 a year for a dividend from oil & coal,,, see citizens climate change lobby for more information) But I want to help build local, self reliant communities. I am starting by renting a $50 garden plot from a local church. Instead of bitching what are you doing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment